Providing Documentation of Citizenship

The student’s MOST RECENTLY obtained document of citizenship from the list below is what MUST be used to complete verification

For example, if a student had an I-94 but more recently obtained a permanent resident card, they must submit the permanent resident card.  Also, make sure to scan the front and back of card-based forms of citizenship (this is most relevant for permanent resident cards).

A Social Security Card or Driver’s License CANNOT be used for proof of citizenship.

For students who are requested to provide proof of citizenship for verification, the following items can be accepted:

U.S. passport or U.S. passport card (either current or expired)

This also includes a five-year-duration U.S. passport and a “Noncitizen National” U.S. passport, but it does
NOT include a “limited” U.S. passport"

Permanent resident/alien card (I-551)

Alien registration receipt card (I-151)

Certificate of citizenship (N-560 or N-561)

Certificate of naturalization (N-550 or N-570)

U.S. or U.S. territory birth certificate

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) or by Foreign Service (FS-545)

Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)

Arrival/departure record (I-94) or an unexpired departure record (I-94A)


Machine readable immigrant visa with an unexpired foreign passport (Temporary I-551)

Special Proof of Citizenship Circumstances

Victims of human trafficking and qualifying relatives 

  • We may require the Certification Letter from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Refugee Resettlement.
  • These individuals may have an I-94 with a T1, T2, T3, or T COA code for principal, spouse, child, or parent, respectively. You must instead review the student’s certification or eligibility letter from the HHS and call the Office on Trafficking in Persons at 1-866-401-5510, as noted on the letter, to verify its validity and confirm that the eligibility has not expired. You must note the date, time, and results of the call and retain a copy of the letter. If the student applies for federal student aid in a subsequent year at your school, you must call again to ensure that the student’s status is still in force.

Battered immigrants and designated children

  • The Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS’s) United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) USCIS will respond to an applicant’s self-petition by issuing to the applicant an I-797, Notice of Action form which may be required by CCAC.

Native Americans lawfully admitted for permanent residence under the Jay Treaty of 1794

  • They must obtain an SSN for purposes of applying for Title IV aid
  • The school must obtain proof that such a student has 50% Native American blood and was born in Canada.

    Examples of items that can be provided:
  • A “band card” issued by the Band Council of a Canadian Reserve, or by the Department of Indian ffairs in Ottawa
  • Birth or baptism records
  • An affidavit from a tribal official or other person knowledgeable about the applicant’s or recipient’s family history
  • Identification from a recognized Native American provincial or territorial organization