Indoor Signage Use Case
Indoor signage is a great way to promote or make anyone aware of an event or something taking place at the campus. Indoor signage’s target primary audience is the students, but also for employees and the public.
Content Guide Per Media Type
- File Type: PNG, JPEG, HEIC
- Ratio: 16x9 (Horizontal) - NOT Square or Vertical
- Dimension: 1920x1080 px @ 300ppi
- Content should take up most of the screen space
- Leave space "padding" on the outer border
- File Type: MP4
- Ratio: 16x9 (Horizontal)
- Full HD (1080p)
- 1920x1080 px @72ppi
- Less than 20 seconds - 6-10 seconds is the typical length as someone is walking by
- No Audio - Closed Captions must be used, if people are visibly talking
Standards & ADA Compliance
- College appropriate - Student/Employee/Visitor/Public Focused
- CCAC guidelines and image/branding standard
- Include Contact information, link to webpage for more information, date and time of event
Screen Time, Words on Screen, Reading Rate
- Screen time averages between 8-10 seconds
- Keep the information clear and concise - Making Great Digital Signage Content 2.0 (wirespring.com)
- 21 words max - the average person looks at the screen for 6 seconds and can only ready 21 words max in 6 seconds
- Captions should have an accuracy of 99%.
- Font should be similar to Helvetica
- Use a white font color on a black background.
- Placed in the lower center of the screen but should be moved when important visual elements
- Each caption should hold 1-3 lines of text onscreen at a time, and should not exceed 3 lines.
- Background noises, or non-speech sounds, should be added in square brackets.
- Captions must be synced with the audio of the programming.
- If nothing is spoke/heard, there should be no closed captions on the screen
- Punctuation and both lower and upper case letters should be used
- Contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1
- (L1 + 0.05) / (L2 + 0.05) - L1 is the relative luminance of the lighter of the colors, and L2 is the relative luminance of the darker of the colors.
- Understanding Contrast and Color Accessibility (WebAIM)
- Contrast Checker (WebAIM)
- Making great digital signage content: Use contrast to your advantage (wirespring.com)
QR Codes, Short Links
- Short Link/QR code should be included if going to a website or event
- QR Code Sites
Formats For Date, Time, Contact Info, Etc.
- Date: Day Of Week, Month Day - Monday, January 3rd
- Time: 10:00AM - 1:00PM
- Email Address: CapitalizeFirstWord@ccac.edu
- Phone Number: ###-###-####
Templates are videos or an image with editable textboxes to overlay text. This is very helpful when it comes to content that needs quickly edited or constantly updated. Note that the text is static can cannot appear later if a video is used.
Tips and Other Information
- Check with someone not familiar with the information to ensure your details are getting across
- Animate your images in Canva
Best Practices for Digital Signage Video
All content goes through the same approval process. The actual display date may vary from the chosen display date depending on the approval process.
Retention of Material
Content will remain on the display's server 1 month after the end date. The design file will remain 1 year after the end date on the design server.