Grants are awarded based on financial need. The most common grants are awarded by state and federal agencies.

Pell Grant

This federal grant program is awarded to undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need. The amount is determined by the student's expected family contribution (EFC) as calculated by the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For the 2022-23 year, the maximum amount is $6,895. Grade Level progression is defined by the college as 0 – 29 credits grade level 1 and 30+ credits is grade level 2.  



The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a campus-based, federally funded aid program that awards funds to Pell Grant recipients with high financial need. The award normally ranges from $100 up to $1000 per academic year and is determined annually based on the allocation from the Federal Government.


Pennsylvania State Grant

This state grant is awarded to Pennsylvania residents that are undergraduate students who are attending at least half-time (six credits), in a two year degree seeking program, and have demonstrated financial need as determined by PHEAA. Students are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress according to the guidelines set forth by PHEAA to receive the award each year. Note: Deadline dates apply.

If you are applying for or receiving a grant from the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency PHEAA) please note that at least half of your class schedule must be for classes that are fully offered on a campus/center. In addition, your program of study also needs to have at least half of its courses offered fully on a campus/center. If you are uncertain how this PHEAA policy relates to your class schedule, please contact the director of Financial Aid at the campus of your choice.
Note: students with medical disabilities as defined by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) of July 1990 (PL 101-336) may request an accommodation to the 50% in-classroom instruction enrollment requirement of the Pennsylvania state grant program. Download the ADA Accommodation Request Form. 


Pennsylvania Targeted Industry Program (PA-TIP)

The Pennsylvania Targeted Industry Program (PA-TIP) is administered by PHEAA and provides awards to students enrolled in programs in the following career areas:
  • Energy
  • Advanced Materials and Diversified Manufacturing
  • Agriculture and Food Production
PA-TIP provides need-based awards up to the equivalent of the maximum State Grant award (currently $4,123*), or 75% of the student's allowable costs, whichever is less. Awards can be used to cover educational costs and specific living expenses.
For additional information and to apply please visit the Pennsylvania Targeted Industry Program website.


CCAC participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Student Loan program. This program provides low-interest loans for students and parents directly from the Department of Education instead of private banks or other financial institutions. If you need to supplement your financial aid award with loans you can find out more about this direct lending program or contact the appropriate campus financial aid office.

William D. Ford Direct Federal Stafford "Subsidized" Loan

Direct Federal Stafford Subsidized Loans are based on financial need as well as annual and aggregate limits. The federal government pays the interest on this loan until you enter repayment six months after graduation or you are no longer enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours).

Direct Federal Stafford Unsubsidized Loans are based on annual and aggregate limits and can be awarded to students who don t show financial need from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Interest begins to accrue upon the first loan disbursement. The option does exist to pay interest on this type of loan while in school or interest payments can be delayed until principle payments begin. Principle repayment begins six months after graduation or once you are no longer enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours).

Attention Parents: If you are the parent of a dependent student, as part of William D. Ford DirectPlus, you may be able to borrow additional funds through the William D. Ford Direct Federal Plus Loan. Federal parent Plus loans enable parents with good credit histories to borrow money to pay the educational expenses of their dependent, undergraduate student enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours). Although parent Plus loans are not need based, families must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to ensure that all eligibility requirements for receiving financial aid are met.


Private Alternative Loans

Students who need additional funding may wish to pursue an alternative loan from a private lender. Students may apply for any amount up to the cost of education, as determined by the Financial Aid Office, minus any other aid (including federal loans) that you are receiving. You will want to compare several lenders to find the best alternative loan to meet your needs. Once you have applied and are approved for a private loan, through a lender of your choice, you must contact the Financial Aid Office and request to have your loan certified.


Loan Ombudsman

The Department of Education Ombudsman Group was created to help borrowers with difficult problems that cannot be solved at the campus level. Contact the Ombudsman Group as a last resort. Make every effort to resolve your student loan problems before contacting the Ombudsman Group.The toll-free phone number is 877-557-2575 and the fax number is 606-396-4821; the mailing address is U.S. Department of Education, FSA Ombudsman Group, P.O. Box 1843, Monticello, KY 42633. Students can also complete the secure and confidential Ombudsman Assistance Request Form. Remember, the Ombudsman Group can help resolve disputes about federal student loans. If you have a dispute about your private student loan, contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.


Federal Work-Study Program

This program is available to eligible students who have financial need and who wish to work part-time while enrolled at CCAC. 

Who is Eligible

  • Students who are US citizens or eligible non-citizens.
  • Students who have demonstrated financial need as determined through the federal needs analysis formula by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Students who are enrolled in degree or certain certificate programs.
  • Students who are maintaining, and continue to maintain satisfactory academic progress according to federal guidelines.
  • Students who are interested and willing to work part-time while enrolled at CCAC.
  • Students who have completed the financial aid application process.